Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

::: THE SPIRIT OF INDEPENDENCE :::

THREE AFRICAN AMERICAN
MASTERS OF THE INDEPENDENT
FILM MOVEMENT
June Givanni
‘When I was at UCLA, we worked on each other’s films for
years. That’s how we learned. We just stayed at the university
all night long, one film after another. And this was a reaction
against certain kinds of films that were being made then. It
was storyboarded, written, and planned for a very long
time. It was something I wanted to do that was totally anti-
Hollywood, even to the point where the plot was invisible
and try to do a story where it looked like a documentary to
some extent and make a picture out of reality in a sense, a
narrative from events that happened in real life. And let those
things speak for themselves, instead of my commenting
on it. So I was very much aware of that.’ (Charles Burnett)
With
Daughters of the Dust
, I decided I was not going to stay
with the usual approach of Western narrative.  Instead, my
narrative structure is based on the way an African griot
would recount a story’s history, would recount a tale based
on African deities, West African deities like Ogun, Osum,
I FF   K   201 0
Yemoja’  (Julie Dash)

No comments:

Post a Comment